Home » Posts tagged 上海后花园千花网

Civil Aviation Minister says night landing is the way to go

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! Share Tweetcenter_img Civil Aviation Minister Hon. Ian Douglas. Photo credit: GIS NewsCivil Aviation Minister Honourable Ian Douglas is defending the Government of Dominica’s decision not to construct an international airport.Douglas who was addressing parliament last week during the National Budget debate said night landing is the way to go.He said it is the best option over a “costly” international airport.“People keep talking about international airport but we have to be able to bear the burden of an international airport because that will cost us in the region of two hundred million US dollars. Our children and our children’s children would have to bear the tax burden of that…” he said.Douglas said the best option was an upgrade of the existing Melville Hall Airport.Dominica Vibes News LifestyleLocalTravel Civil Aviation Minister says night landing is the way to go by: – July 8, 2011 33 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Continue reading

African star wants to join Chelsea

first_imgZambian hero Stoppila Sunzu has declared that it is his dream to play for Chelsea – or Bolton.The 22-year-old defender scored the winning penalty as his team beat Ivory Coast in a shoot-out to win the Africa Cup of Nations.And the Romanian media have quoted him as saying: “I have a dream to play in England as I prefer Chelsea and Bolton Wanderers.”Sunzu currently plays for TP Mazembe in the Democratic Republic of Congo and has been monitored by a number of European clubs.He caught the eye in Sunday’s final by keeping Chelsea’s Didier Drogba quiet for much of the match.“Drogba was almost invisible – it was very easy for me. I’m not afraid of any player or team regardless of names,” he said.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

Continue reading

Microsoft Movie Deal Makes The Xbox ‘A Player’ – Premieres “Pulp”

first_imgTags:#content#Microsoft#Streaming video#Xbox 4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout Related Posts 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…center_img 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… markhachman Table stakes in the online content industry these days is owning the rights to “exclusive” content, and Microsoft took a small step in that direction, agreeing to distribute Pulp, a “comedy about comics,” which premieres Monday on its own Xbox platform.“Microsoft might not seem like the obvious partner for an indie comedy, but the film industry has changed,” Adam Hamdy, Pulp’s co-director, told The Telegraph. “Xbox 360 can instantly distribute Pulp to millions of UK customers, and publicize the release in ways that simply aren’t possible traditionally.”The Competition For ContentThat’s the same argument, but writ small, that online content houses like Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have chosen to try and win audiences. Netflix, of course, is shaping the future of TV by signing up shows like House of Cards, Lillyhammer, and a new season of Arrested Development – though some have speculated that Netflix should be on a deathwatch, instead. Hulu has done the same thing to a lesser extent. Amazon has also ponied up, buying the rights to the critically acclaimed television series, Justified.And HBO, one of the first paid services to orient itself around original content, has said that more customers are tuning in to watch its original series – at least via its HBO Go application – then to watch movies. That may be because movies on HBO come and go, depending on licensing deals, while its original series – including The Sopranos, The Wire and Game of Thrones, among others, live on forever on HBO Go.Last March, Microsoft began positioning its Xbox game console as more of a video set-top box on on the order of a Roku, with more minutes spent watching recorded movies and television content than playing games. Last year, Nielsen found that consumers spend an average of about an extra hour per week on a game console watching recorded video.Microsoft’s recent moves are in line with that trend. In September, Microsoft hired former CBS exec Nancy Tellem to run a new Xbox content studio, although the first efforts were essentially interactive “Sesame Street” programs. Adding exclusive distribution of Pulp is a more traditional content play, something that one might expect Tellem would orchestrate with Hollywood.Microsoft representatives did not respond to requests for comment by press time.Content Is King, But Breadth Is QueenThe difference between Microsoft and a service like Netflix, however, is that Redmond inextricably tied to the Xbox platform; although Microsoft outsells all other game console in the world (in 2012, the company claimed more than 63 million Xbox 360s had been sold, lifetime) Netflix has vastly more distribution across Apple’s iOS and Mac platforms, plus Android phones, tablets and various set-tops like the Apple TV, Roku and WD TV boxes, among others.For Microsoft, however, an exclusive content deal means two things: profits and cachet. Microsoft’s interactive division is forever flirting with losses (last quarter, Microsoft’s Entertainment and Devices Division recorded a $19 million profit). Although Microsoft may in fact have paid money to license the premiere of Pulp, it’s equally likely that studios could pay Microsoft to promote their films, a strategy that the industry is beginning to see with Roku (via banner ads promoting recent films) Comcast and Cox (ditto) as well as Hulu Plus (via a carousel of promoted shows).Microsoft may not have the clout of a Netflix, but analyst Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group has characterized the Xbox as the most socially connected TV platform, and Microsoft’s “second screen” Smartglass technology gives the service a technological leg up on the competition. Now, Microsoft set on expanding its Xbox from a game console to a content distribution hub. The company may be far behind its competition in that regard, but the race is far from over.last_img read more

Continue reading

How Not to Need a Time Machine

first_imgImagine you had a time machine. You know, the kind that you see in movies, where you dial in a date and break the space-time continuum.Imagine you could go back in time and change anything. Something went wrong? No problem. You go back and reverse it. You wish you’d have acted, but you didn’t? Easy. Dial in the date, and you are on you way to a better outcome.So far there is no such thing as a time machine. But there is something almost as good: the ability to look back at where you are now from the future.Imagine it’s one year from now. What are you going to proud of? What are you going to regret?Is the one-year-older and one-year-wiser version of yourself going to look back from a better place, proud that you took action on your highest priorities? Or will that older version of you look back with a sense of disappointment, knowing that had you taken the actions you knew you need to, you’d be someplace different?Are you going to wish you’d taken better care of yourself? Or will you be happy that you invested the time taking of your mind, body, and spirit?Are you going to regret not having spent more time with the people that truly matter to you? Or will you look back at the memories you created and feel that stronger connection?Will you wish you’d have gotten up earlier to pursue your dream? That you’d stayed up a little later doing what you really love? Or will you look back at what you’ve accomplished in such a short time, excited about what is possible in the future?You don’t have a time machine. But you don’t need one either. You know what the future you is going to be proud of and what the future you is going to regret. As long as you keep that future you front and center as you make decisions as to how you invest your time, you’re not going to need that time machine. Essential Reading! Get my 3rd book: Eat Their Lunch “The first ever playbook for B2B salespeople on how to win clients and customers who are already being serviced by your competition.” Buy Nowlast_img read more

Continue reading

NCB Foundation to Pay for More CSEC Subjects

first_img Director, NCB Foundation, Stuart Reid, said that based on the organisation’s strategic focus, collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, and the need to support new and emerging career opportunities, the Foundation has revised the programme. The Foundation currently pays in full for CSEC Principles of Accounts (POA) and Principles of Business (POB) examination fees, for students at the secondary level. Story Highlights The National Commercial Bank (NCB) Foundation is to increase the number of subjects it pays for qualifying students sitting the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations for the academic year 2018/19.The Foundation currently pays in full for CSEC Principles of Accounts (POA) and Principles of Business (POB) examination fees, for students at the secondary level.Director, NCB Foundation, Stuart Reid, said that based on the organisation’s strategic focus, collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, and the need to support new and emerging career opportunities, the Foundation has revised the programme.The Director was speaking at the NCB Foundation CSEC National Bursary Programme’s handover ceremony, held at Jamaica College on October 17, where the bank electronically transferred $13.9 million to the Overseas Examinations Commission’s account to cover the cost incurred for the 3,334 students from government-approved public and private schools who sat POA and POB in June.He informed that for this academic year, the organisation will support Information Technology (IT) and two other non-traditional subjects.“Going forward, we will review the changing demands of respective industries and offer support in subjects that align. The future of Jamaica lies in the minds and hands of its youth, thus we cannot have a better Jamaica without first doing everything in our power to empower the next generation to maximise their talents,” he said.Under the programme, the entity allows qualified secondary-level students to sit these two business subjects free of cost. This helps them to meet the minimum number of five subjects required for entry to a tertiary institution.For his part, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, Dean-Roy Bernard, welcomed the Foundation’s changes to the programme.“We are grateful to NCB for this partnership in supporting our students, especially those who want to take advantage of the new opportunities,” Mr. Bernard said.He also lauded NCB Foundation’s commitment in helping to ensure that students who demonstrate financial need and are excelling academically are able to benefit from this programme.Overall, the Foundation has invested in excess of $141 million in the programme, impacting the lives of more than 100,000 students. The National Commercial Bank (NCB) Foundation is to increase the number of subjects it pays for qualifying students sitting the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations for the academic year 2018/19.last_img read more

Continue reading

Official Gustavo Alfaro named new Boca Juniors coach

first_imgBoca Juniors have announced Gustavo Alfaro as their new manager following Guillermo Barros Schelotto’s departureAfter Boca’s Copa Libertadores final defeat to rivals River Plate last month, Schelotto left the club less than a week later and has since been appointed the manager of MLS side LA Galaxy.Now Boca have turned to Alfaro to change their fortunes with the Primera División champions currently down in sixth-place and 12 points adrift of leaders Racing Club.Speaking during his presentation, the 56-year-old revealed his pride at taking the top job in Argentinian football.“Boca is obliged to win everything it plays in,” said Alfaro, as quoted by Sport.“We have very strong challenges ahead, we have to try to accomplish that, Boca has no purgatory, it’s either heaven or hell. It’s winning, going out a champion, that’s the goal.River Plate v Boca Juniors - Copa CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018Match Preview: River Plate vs Boca Juniors Boro Tanchev – September 1, 2019 It is time for one of the most intense derby games in the world, as River Plate and Boca Juniors go head-to-head tonight at 22:00 (CET).“For me, it’s a mixture of pride and challenge to be here today, I feel that I am fulfilling a promise I made with my old man when I left chemical engineering a long time ago to dedicate myself to football.“I promised my old man that I would reach the pinnacle of Argentinian football.”Alfaro has spent his entire coaching career in Argentina but he’s never lasted more than three years in a job.📽 #BienvenidoAlfaro | Gustavo Alfaro firmó su contrato y se convirtió oficialmente en el nuevo entrenador de #Boca. ¡No te pierdas la intimidad de sus primeras horas en el club! pic.twitter.com/P3ZMX48mRU— Boca Jrs. Oficial (@BocaJrsOficial) January 2, 2019last_img read more

Continue reading

Californias Catholic bishops targeted in sex abuse lawsuit

first_img Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, LOS ANGELES (AP) — A man who claims he was sexually abused decades ago by his parish priest said Tuesday he is suing all Catholic bishops in California and the Archdiocese of Chicago, seeking to compel church officials to release records on clergy abuse.The filing Monday in Los Angeles by Thomas Emens claims a civil conspiracy among church officials to cover up clergy sexual assault and move offending priests to other parishes.Emens said at a news conference that he was abused for two years starting in 1978 when he was 10 years old by Monsignor Thomas Joseph Mohan. The priest, who is deceased, arrived at St. Anthony Claret Catholic Church in Anaheim in the early 1970s from Chicago, according to the lawsuit.Attorney Jeff Anderson said the goal of the so-called “nuisance” lawsuit is to force the church to reveal the names of all priests accused of child molestation. He said church documents would reveal a “playbook” among bishops and other officials to protect offending clergy by keeping files under wraps and moving the priests across the country and, in some cases, out of the U.S.RELATED STORY: Bishop Robert McElroy to hold eight listening sessions around San Diego and El CentroThe lawsuit asks a judge “to abate the continuing nuisance” of abuse by ordering each diocese to name all accused priests, detail their history of alleged assault and identify their last known addresses.A call seeking comment from officials at the California Catholic Conference of Bishops, which oversees the state’s 12 dioceses, was not immediately returned. A call to the Archdiocese of Chicago was also not returned Tuesday.The court filing invokes both public and private statutes of nuisance law in California. Such laws generally involve behavior that negatively affects a community or interferes with the use and enjoyment of private property, said John Nockleby, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.Alleging nuisance violations in relation to past sexual abuse by a single priest is a “creative approach” by Emens’ lawyers, said Nockleby, adding that it will be very difficult to prove in court.Criminal charges are not feasible in this case because they would fall outside California’s statute of limitations. KUSI Newsroom Updated: 3:37 PMcenter_img California’s Catholic bishops targeted in sex abuse lawsuit October 2, 2018 Posted: October 2, 2018last_img read more

Continue reading