Home » Posts tagged 上海狼族藏凤阁1314

Job cuts hit LIAT, other Antigua businesses

first_img 40 Views   no discussions Share Share Sharing is caring! Tweetcenter_img Share NewsRegional Job cuts hit LIAT, other Antigua businesses by: – June 3, 2011 ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – Scores of workers in Antigua and Barbuda were yesterday considering their job future as two of the island’s most prominent businesses and regional airline LIAT, based in that island, moved to cut jobs. Efforts are being made by government to jobs at another company which has announced its closure.The decision by the Observer Media Group and Hadeed Motors Ltd. to offer staff voluntary separation packages came a day after LIAT informed more than 70 workers at their City Ticketing Offices (CTOs) that they would be getting their pink slips.The other company, Antigua Brewery, earlier this week indicated that it will be moving its production operations to neighbouring St Vincent, putting about 42 jobs on the line.Observer and Hadeed blamed financial difficulties for their decisions, while the LIAT move is part of the airlines effort to cut expenses. The company had previously announced that it would be closing its CTOs throughout the region in hopes of saving US$3 million annually.The redundancies at LIAT will take effect on June 30. Meantime, other airline workers have until tomorrow to decide whether they will accept a voluntary separation and early retirement package offered by the airline.Employees at Hadeed Motors and the Observer Media Group will have to make a similar decision in coming days.In letters to its approximately 28 workers yesterday, Hadeed gave them a month to decide.The correspondence said that car sales had plummeted by more than 60 percent in the past three years and the company could no longer continue absorbing the losses.“No company can sustain such a situation for such an extended period of time, and should we continue to maintain the current level of employment, Hadeed Motors Ltd would not be able to survive, and any equity payment due to our longstanding employees could be in jeopardy,” it said.The 75 workers at Observer Media Group – which includes The Daily OBSERVER and OBSERVER Radio – have been given until next Friday, June 10, to express interest in voluntary severance.The letter from Chairman Winston Derrick said the company has been seriously affected by a significant contraction in the local economy and is being forced to reduce the cost of operations. He later told the newspaper that the aim is to trim 25 percent of costs.“To this end, we have been reviewing the expenses associated with running our business activities with a view to seeing where cuts could be made. As the next step in the process of reducing costs we are giving persons, who so desire, the opportunity to apply for a voluntary separation package from the company,” the memo stated.Derrick said that lay-offs could follow if enough people do not express interest in the offer.“If nobody is being voluntarily separated then we’ll have to take the next step and maybe we’ll lay off persons for a period of time, but we haven’t gotten that far yet,” he said.Meantime, Finance and Economy Minister Harold Lovell met on Tuesday with a delegation representing Empresas Leon Jimenez SA, the company from the Dominican Republic that owns Antigua Brewery, in efforts to keep the business open.He said the government is exploring a number of options designed to preserve the production of beer and soft drinks in Antigua. The company has said the economic downturn is taking a toll.“We understand the circumstances that have led the company to take this decision,” Lovell said, “but we also understand that, under the right circumstances, the production of beer and soft drinks can still be a profitable and successful sector in Antigua. We are therefore looking at all the options, including sale, lease, new investment, and others to revitalize the sector.”International Director for Antigua Brewery Hector Marine said the company was willing to work with the government to arrive at a resolution that would ensure the company does not completely abandon the Antigua market.Both sides agreed to resume discussions within a week regarding the proposals that had been put on the table.Caribbean 360 Newslast_img read more

Continue reading

Now they’re back in the Champions League, Man United must sign these players

first_imgManchester United winning the Europa League was never really in doubt, was it?Despite a hugely underwhelming league campaign, the Red Devils booked their place in the group stage of next season’s Champions League with a 2-0 win over Ajax in the final.But while their place in the competition is confirmed, Jose Mourinho has a lot of work to do on his squad if they are to conquer Europe’s elite.The transfer window will now be of even greater importance to United – so who should they bring in?Scroll through the gallery above to take a look at six players we believe Mourinho must sign to sustain a Champions League challenge. 2. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid) – Kroos is surely the dream signing for United. The club are screaming out for another midfielder with the ability to balance defensive and attacking responsibilities and Kroos fits the bill. It’s difficult to envisage Real Madrid agreeing to sell the German this summer, but he could be used in negotiations if the Spanish outfit make a move for David De Gea. 5 5. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) – click the arrow above, right, to check out four other players United should sign to conquer Europe’s elite – Hopefully this is the summer Griezmann finally makes the move to the Premier League. Neutrals are eager to see how the Frenchman adapts to English football and the forward himself recently told L’Equipe: “I’m ready to go”. He’ll be frustrated at going another season without silverware and could be open to joining international team-mate Paul Pogba in Manchester. He scored 26 goals this season and would improve the best of attacks. 5 5 3. Bernardo Silva (Monaco) – Silva is understood to be on high on the wish list of Mourinho. The 22-year-old contributed 17 goals to Monaco’s league triumph, scoring eight and assisting nine, and as a result is a wanted player in the summer market. The majority of his performances have come from the right of midfield, which is a position Mourinho has yet to settle on. Should the Portugal international move to Old Trafford, it’ll be interesting to see how the likes of Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Juan Mata will fit in, and if their style of play changes. 5 4. Virgil van Dijk (Southampton) – United have been excellent defensively this season, but injuries have exposed vulnerability in their options. Eric Bailly is the first choice at centre back and Mourinho is likely to target a new partner for the Ivorian. Van Dijk has been sidelined since January with an ankle problem and given demand for his signature, might not appear in a Southampton shirt again. He was one of the best in his position in the Premier League prior to his injury and could walk straight into the United team. 5 1. Andrea Belotti (Torino) – With it looking increasingly unlikely that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will extend his stay beyond this season, a centre forward could be a priority for United. Romelu Lukaku has been linked to the club, but his form in the big games for Everton is a concern. Belotti is in high demand following a 25-goal campaign and Mourinho is reportedly eager to seal a deal. Signing players from Serie A is seen as a gamble, but the striker is making waves in Italy.last_img read more

Continue reading

Congress suspends Suresh Kalmadi after CBI arrest

first_imgThe Congress party on Monday suspended Suresh Kalmadi hours after the controversial party MP was arrested by CBI in connection with irregularities in the Commonwealth Games projects.The axe fell on the 67-year old Lok Sabha member from Pune with the party’s Disciplinary Action Committee (DAC) headed by senior leader AK Antony deciding his suspension.”The DAC of the party has suspended Suresh Kalmadi,” party general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said, indicating thereby that the leadership swung into pro-active mode to limit the damage after Kalmadi’s arrest.Kalmadi is the first Congress MP to face suspension since the UPA-II government came to power in May 2009. Rebel member Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy was served a show-cause notice for anti-party activities after which the former Kadapa MP from Andhra Pradesh had himself resigned.CBI arrested the sacked CWG Organising Committee chairman for allegedly conspiring to award illegal contracts to a Swiss firm for Timing-Scoring-Result (TSR) system for the Games which caused a loss of Rs 95 crore to the exchequer.Kalmadi was removed as Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) Secretary last year after corruption controversies hit the preparation for the Games being held by the Organising Committee (OC) headed by him. After the Games, the government sacked him as chief of the OC.Soon after his arrest on Monday, party spokesperson Manish Tewari clearly indicated that Kalmadi was in for more trouble saying, “Let there be no ambiguity…at an appropriate time, appropriate, demonstrable and visible action will be taken.”Meanwhile, the woes of Kalmadi only seemed to have grown following his arrest with pressure mounting on the Indian Olympic Association to elect a new president in his place.advertisementThe Sports Ministry wants the IOA to elect a new president as it feels that a person who has been arrested or chargesheeted should not head any organisation.”The person who is in jail or who has been charge-sheeted, it would not be in the national interest that he should represent the country anymore. As soon as official confirmation of his arrest comes, we are going to request the IOA to elect someone,” Sports Minister Ajay Maken said.– With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

Continue reading

The HSUS Announces 31st Annual Genesis Award Winners

first_imgNetflix’s “The Ivory Game,” Rolling Stone’s “The Dog Factory,” and Chicago Tribune’s “The Price of Pork” head the line-up of 18 winners of the 31st Annual Genesis Awards, presented by The Humane Society of the United States.The HSUS’ Genesis Awards recognize outstanding individuals in the major news and entertainment media whose creativity and/or journalistic integrity have increased the public’s understanding of animal protection issues. Awards are given to individuals from the television, film, print, online and music industries, as well to those producing more specialized works.From documentaries highlighting the ivory trade and endangered gorillas to magazine and newspaper stories that reveal the scourge of pig farms and puppy mills, the 2017 Genesis Award winners serve as a reminder of the importance of all forms of media in helping expose animal protection issues.For more information, or to view or read the pieces in their entirety, click here.Below is the full list of winners of the 31st Genesis Awards for works aired or released in 2016.OUTSTANDING DOCUMENTARY FILMThe Ivory Game –A Netflix Original Documentaryproduced by Terra Mater Films and Vulcan Productions in association withMalaika Pictures and Appian WayDirected by Richard Ladkani & Kief DavidsonProduced by Walter KöhlerOUTSTANDING TV NEWS SERIESWRC-TV (NBC Washington) “Trouble on the tracks”Scott MacFarlane – ReporterRick Yarborough – ProducerJeff Piper – VideographerWOIO Cleveland 19, Multi-part series on crimes against police caninesSia Nyorkor – Multimedia JournalistCassandra Nist- Sr. ProducerOUTSTANDING TV NEWS FEATUREKTNV-TV (ABC Las Vegas)“Hunting the Hunters” and “Domestic Violence: When Pets become Pawns”Darcy Spears – ReporterKean Bauman – ProducerKris Oman, Oscar Palomo – Photo JournalistsOUTSTANDING TV COMMENTARYStreet Talk Commentary: Safari Club International – Las Vegas Now I-Team 8George Knapp – ReporterMatt Adams – Photographer/EditorOUSTANDING MORNING SHOWCBS Sunday Morning “A Dog’s Life”Martha Teichner – ReporterDavid Rothman – ProducerMike Levine – EditorOUTSTANDING TV DOCUMENTARIESExplorer: Battle for Virunga – National Geographic channelProducer/Director, Tony GerberExecutive Producers: Jeff Hasler, Brian Lovett, Jared Lipworth, Melissa Wood, Dave Snyder, Margaret EbrahimToucan Nation – Animal PlanetDirected by Paula HerediaProduced by Paula Heredia and Larry LavinExecutive producer for H/3 Foundation, Spencer B. Haber;Supervising producer for Animal Planet, Alexandra MossExecutive producer John Hoffman.OUTSTANDING TV DOCUMENTARY SERIESOcean Warriors – Animal PlanetExecutive Producers: Robert Redford, Paul G. Allen, Mark Benjamin, Marc Levin, Laura Michalchyshyn, Pagan Danielle Harleman, David Casey, Carole Tomko, Jody Gottlieb, Rocky Collins, Liz Bronstein;Co-Executive Producer: Jerry Decker;Supervising Producers: Patrick Keegan, Yoav Attias;Senior Producer: Christopher Bryson;Producers: Peter Schmuhl, Nicholas Burnett, Katie Carpenter, Adam Schleifer;Executive in Charge: Kara Rozansky;Directors: Mark Benjamin, Marc LevinOUSTANDING CHILDREN’S PROGRAMMINGThe HALO Effect “Purses for Primates” – Nickelodeon Executive Producers: Nick Cannon, Morgan Spurlock, Richard Arlook, Jeremy Chilnick,Matthew Galkin, Ethan Goldman and Michael GoldmanProducer: Erin GlassPRINTOUTSTANDING MAGAZINE FEATURE“The Dog Factory” By Paul Solotaroff – Rolling StoneOUTSTANDING OPINION“Second Thoughts of an Animal Researcher” by John P. Gluck – The New York TimesOUTSTANDING NEWSPAPER SERIES“The Price of Pork” – The Chicago TribuneInvestigative Reporters David Jackson and Gary MarxPhotographer/Videographer Stacey WescottResearch Assistant Madison HopkinsBRIGITTE BARDOT INTERNATIONAL AWARDSOUSTANDING INTERNATIONAL NEWS FEATURE“Tigerhandel trots Artenschutz” – ZDF GermanyKarl Ammann – ProducerOUSTANDING INTERNATIONAL ONLINE/PRINTThe Guardian (UK) multiple reports on elephant conservationEditorial team: Bibi van der Zee, Karl Mathiesen, Phil DaoustOUTSTANDING REPORTER OF THE YEARKarin Brulliard – The Washington PostSPECIAL RECOGNITIONDarryl Fears – The Washington PostOUTSTANDING SOCIAL MEDIAMiley Cyruslast_img read more

Continue reading

LSU Offers Football Scholarship To 8th Grader Dylan Moses

There’s being ahead of the competition and then there’s what Les Myles did this week. The LSU coach who is known for his bold – and questionable – decisions during a football game and his staff offered Dylan Moses a scholarship for when he is ready to attend college. And that would be in 2017.You see, Moses is 14 and headed to the eighth grade. That is not a typo.Following a warped lead established by Washington, which had an eighth-grader commit to its school, the LSU coaching staff watched with amazement as the youth ran a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash at a Tigers’ football camp. Throw in that he is maturely built at 6-feet, 2o5 pounds, and the coaches were salivating.The offer, though, even stunned the kid.“I was kind of shocked when I first heard it — it was a dream come true,” Moses said. “I’ve always wanted to play for LSU since I was a kid, and now it’s coming true in front of my eyes.”“The coaches told me they were offering — and they were serious. I thought they were playing,” Edward Moses said. “Really, I thought that they were joking around until I saw the serious look on their faces. So I rolled with it. Let’s see where it’s going to end up.”Much has been made of the offer since word got out the Tigers were interested in a soon-to-be eighth grader. Indeed, even if he accepted the offer,  Moses couldn’t officially sign with LSU for another five years.His workout numbers certainly don’t reflect that youth. In addition to the blistering 40 time, the middle-schooler posted a broad jump of 9 feet, 3 inches and a 34-inch vertical leap. Impressive as they were, the latter two weren’t so surprising to his father.“I already knew that he could jump the 34-inch vertical, and we were actually working toward 9 feet in the broad jump. I didn’t think it was going to come then, but I felt it coming,” Edward Moses said. “The 40 — that blew me away. I wasn’t expecting a 4.46 40-yard dash.”And he was not expecting his son to draw an offer this soon. “The coaches told me they were offering — and they were serious. I thought they were playing,” Edward Moses said. “Really, I thought that they were joking around until I saw the serious look on their faces. So I rolled with it. Let’s see where it’s going to end up.” read more

Continue reading

Dwight Howard To Magic Manager I Want A Trade

Of course, two days could not go by without some “movement” on the Dwight Howard trade saga. He told the Magic general manager that he wants to be traded. Again.Breaking news, right? That’s what this ongoing melodrama has become: When Howard, the all-star center, reiterates his position that he wants to be traded, it’s news – or something accepted as news.Anyway, Howard and GM Rob Hennigan apparently met in Los Angeles, according to espn.com, on Wednesday. It was Hennigan’s “check in” meeting, which went exactly as his other “check in” meetings went with Howard – he made it clear that he wanted to be traded and that at the end of next season he would become a free agent.This is almost like the cops coming over to a fender bender and telling the on-lookers, “OK, move on. Nothing to see here.”Even the Los Angeles Lakers, who had been aggressively pursing Howard, seem to have centered (pun intended) their thoughts on granting their young, talented center, Andrew Bynum, a lucrative contract extension.It’s the least they can do after offering him up in myriad deal scenarios to land Howard.While the pace of the talks has frustrated executives and hamstrung business around the league, the Lakers seem to have found a way of remaining open to a trade for Howard while still going about their business.Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said Wednesday he’s had “positive and productive” conversations with Bynum’s agent in recent days.Under the terms of the new CBA, Bynum would be eligible to sign a three-year extension before the start of the season. Or he could play out this season, become an unrestricted free agent and sign for four years with another club or re-sign with the Lakers for five years.Typically it slows down in August, but the brakes are never on,” Lakers general Kupchak said, implying a move for Howard could still happen.The Lakers’ position on Howard has remained relatively unchanged for the past few months, league sources familiar with the situation have told ESPNLosAngeles.com. The Lakers always have been willing to trade for Howard without assurances he’d re-sign with them after the season, believing that once Howard experienced a championship culture, he would want to stay.However, the Lakers also remain unwilling to take back contracts from Orlando that would subject them to the most punitive luxury-tax penalties of the new collective bargaining agreement, according to sources.The Lakers also lost the ability to include future first-round draft choices after including their 2013 and 2015 first-round picks in a sign-and-trade with Phoenix for Steve Nash. read more

Continue reading